St Joseph’s Catholic Primary School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of all children and requires all staff, parents, volunteers and visitors to share this commitment. This section of our website aims to give you a guide to safeguarding policies and procedures in our school.
If you have any concerns, no matter how small they may seem, about the safety or welfare of any child, please contact the school's Designated Safeguarding Lead.
Our Designated Safeguarding Lead is Mrs Nettie Hodson
We also have a Safeguarding Team of trained staff who can support or help in the absence of Mrs Annette Hodson:
Mr Neil McDermott - Headteacher
Mrs Nicky O'Donoghue - Deputy Headteacher
Mr Daniel Carter - Reception Lead Teacher
Mrs Mary Ward - Pastoral Lead
Mrs Janet Hardwick - HLTA
Mr Tyler Gardner - Anti-Bullying Champion
Katie Lewry - E-safety Champion
Our Governor for Safeguarding is: Mrs Josie Harris
We fully recognise our responsibilities for safeguarding and promoting the health and well-being of all the children in our care.
We therefore strive to:
• Follow PAN Dorset Safeguarding Children Partnership procedures and guidance
• Raise awareness of safeguarding issues and equip children with the skills needed to keep them safe
• Implement the BCP LA procedures for identifying and reporting cases, or suspected cases, of abuse
• Establish a safe environment in which children can learn and develop
• Ensure that all staff receive appropriate safeguarding training, which includes e-safety and the government’s PREVENT strategy
• Ensure that school practices and procedures are in line with ‘Keep Children Safe in Education’ (KCSiE, 2020); which is available below
School has the following Safeguarding Polices:
- Keeping Children Safe in Education (DfE, 2020)
- COVID Safeguarding Appendum January 2021
- CAST Safeguarding and Child Protection Policy 2020
- Safeguarding Appendum - Operation Encompass
- Safeguarding Appendum - Operation Encompass Key Adult Responsibilities
- Staff Code of Conduct
- Whistleblowing Policy
- Online Safety Policy
- How to know if your child is ready to be left alone/go out alone.
Further Information and Useful Links
- Safe Schools and Communities Team
- PAN Dorset Safeguarding Children Partnership
- Family Information Directory
- Private Fostering
- NSPCC - Selecting a ‘safe’ Sports Club for your child
Child Sexual Exploitation
We are an Operation Encompass school and we receive information relating to any domestic abuse incident (where the police have attended) relating to a pupil on roll. We have 4 key adults that receive this information: Mrs Nettie Hodson, Mr Neil McDermott, Mrs Nicky O Donoghue and Mr Daniel Carter. These members of staff have had training on how to support children that have witnessed incidences of domestic abuse. In addition to the key adults, Mrs Ward and Mrs Corbin have also undertaken training. .
Sancreed Road, Poole, Dorset, BH12 4DZ